The good news radio wise locally is that a new DMR repeater on 70 cms is now on air near Cork City in Ireland. It is co-sited with the existing EI7FXR analog FM repeater at Farmers Cross near Cork Airport.
The callsign of the new digital repeater is EI7FXD and it has an output frequency of 430.250 MHz The input is 9 MHz higher on 439.250 MHz. This configuration is usually designated as DVU-R20.
The color code is 1.
The Brandmeister ID of the repeater is 272015 should anyone wish to monitor the Brandmeister dashboard and hose line.
Info from the Southern Ireland Repeater Group – DMR repeater for Cork City
A new 70cms DMR repeater was installed at Farmer’s Cross near Cork city on Monday, December 21st to provide DMR coverage to Cork City and surrounding areas. The set up consists of a Motorola DR-3000 repeater and the antenna is a CAT-C440 @ approx 50ft. It’s the fourth digital repeater set up by the Southern Ireland Repeater Group and will complement our other three digital installations located at West Waterford, Waterford City, and Mt. Leinster.
Details are as follows:
DMR ID: 272015
Mode of Operation: DMR Only
Location: Farmer’s Cross, Cork City
Access: Colour Code 1
On-site for the installation (21st Dec 2020) were Neil EI3JE and John EI8JA. Thanks to Anthony O’Sullivan and his colleague John who put the antenna up for us in not so nice weather conditions and to John EI8IR (Airwave Internet) for the Broadband connection.
This repeater is a joint venture between Southern Ireland Repeater Group and local DMR enthusiasts in the Cork City area.
Many thanks for their contributions towards the project to Don EI8DJ and Willie EI7CGB
* * *
EI7FXD Coverage… The map below shows the approximate coverage out to about 60 km.
- The Farmers Cross-site overlooks Cork City so there should be saturation coverage there. Anyone with a DMR handheld should be able to access it.
- Anywhere in the shadow of hills is likely to have problems on 70cms. e.g Blarney, Inishannon, Bandon, Mallow, Fermoy, Glanmire & Passage West.
- The coverage on the N25 to the east should be good as far as the Youghal by-pass. After that, there is coverage from the Clashmore repeater EI7CDD.
- Coverage on the M8 motorway to Dublin is good until Watergrasshill. Once you crest the hill, coverage may be a problem.
- The same applies to the N20 north to Mallow. Coverage ends just north of Rathduff.
- On the N22 to the west, there should be good coverage until Lissarda. After that, screening from hills will be an issue.